Frequently Asked Questions for On-Campus Students

Frequently Asked Questions for Online Students


Frequently Asked Questions for On-Campus Students

General Questions

What qualifications do I need to attend Antonelli College?
A high school diploma or GED and a successful admissions interview are required for admission.

In Ohio only, a portfolio review is required for admission into the Graphic Design program. A portfolio should include 6-10 pieces of artwork, preferably hand-drawn. These are used to determine a student’s creative ability regarding basic composition and design elements.

In Mississippi only, students must be 18 years or older for admission into the Massage Therapy program at the time of application.

In Ohio and Mississippi, students must be 21 years or older to take the Wine and Beverage rotation in the Hospitality Arts program.

Is ACT or SAT testing required?
No. See above to find out what qualifications are needed to attend Antonelli College.

I got my high school diploma online. Will you accept it?
Antonelli College accepts high school diplomas from high schools that have accreditation that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Do you have dorms or places that will discount housing/rent?
Antonelli College does not offer on-campus housing, but there are several apartments located close to the campuses. The Dean of Students can work with you to determine housing options.

How do I obtain a copy of my official transcripts?
Submit a written request to the Registrar or Student Records Manager that includes your mailing address. Fax requests are accepted. There is a $5.00 processing fee, and the request will be processed in 3-5 business days. This pertains to an unofficial transcript as well. Current students requesting transcripts pay the same price as former students and graduates.

How many credit hours are considered part-time and full-time?
A student who is enrolled at least 12 hours is considered full-time. Students with six credit hours are considered part-time. Other additional requirements may exist for specific programs at individual campuses. Contact an admissions representative for more information.

I am having a difficult time in some of my classes and would like additional help. What options do I have?
If you are having difficulty in a course, your first step is to talk to the instructor before or after class or to make an appointment during their office hours. Our instructors are happy to help each student succeed. If it is determined that tutoring is needed, Antonelli College provides tutoring assistance to our students. A Tutoring Request Form can be filled out and submitted to Career Services. Someone will then contact you to develop a tutoring schedule that is specific to your needs.

Can I take both online and on-campus classes?
Yes, we try to be flexible as possible to meet the needs of our students. You are also able to take both day and night classes if the schedule allows.

Can I transfer my credits to any school if I want to continue my education?
Whether or not credits are accepted is always up to the institution where you choose to continue your education. Antonelli College is nationally accredited, and the credits are more likely to transfer to schools with the same type of accreditation. We have several articulation agreements with four-year schools that outline which credits will transfer. If you have any questions about the best place to pursue further education after graduating from Antonelli College, please see the Director of Education.

Will Antonelli College accept college credits from other schools?
Any new student wanting to transfer in college credits should contact their previous college and request an official transcript to be sent to Antonelli College before the end of their first quarter. All college transcripts for entering students go to the Director of Education and Academic Dean. After the transcripts are reviewed, a letter will be mailed to the student along with an Antonelli College transcript showing all classes that were accepted as transfer credits.

Are you an accredited college?
Yes. Please see our full accreditation here.

How many campuses does Antonelli College have?
We have four locations, including the Cincinnati, Ohio campus; West Chester, Ohio satellite facility; Jackson, Mississippi campus; and Hattiesburg, Mississippi campus. We also offer online classes.

Can you mail or email me a catalog or additional information?
At Antonelli College, you are a person with goals and dreams. We understand that selecting a college is a big decision and one that will impact your future. Antonelli College is different than most schools in that we offer all potential students a career planning session. During this meeting, we spend time to get to know you and your goals, answer your questions, and determine if Antonelli College aligns with your aspirations and if you will find success at Antonelli College. Not all of your questions may be answered by a simple brochure or catalog. Our students value the time we spend helping them to design and map out their future and the continued support they receive once they join the Antonelli College family.

How much does it cost to attend Antonelli College?
Tuition varies by program, whether a student attends full-time or part-time, transfer credits or testing out of classes. Tuition includes all applicable academic and administrative needs; books; program kits; and, for most programs, a laptop. Contact an admissions representative for further details.

Can I use financial aid to help pay my registration fee?
The registration fee must be paid at the time of enrollment, and financial aid cannot be utilized for this purpose.

How long does it take to complete my degree?
Depending on the program, your Associate degree could take between 21 and 24 months to complete if attending full-time.

How frequently do classes start?
Antonelli College offers open enrollment throughout the year and, as a result, students have the option to start classes roughly every 5-7 weeks. Please contact an admissions representative for specific dates.

When are classes offered?
Classes are offered both day and evenings to help students balance other responsibilities, such as work and childcare. However, not all classes each term are offered both during the day and evening. Our academic deans and department chairs assist students in creating a class schedule that fits their lives.

Why is attendance so important?
Antonelli College prides itself on offering courses that align with the content and substance that employers seek. Additionally, our instructors incorporate their real-world experiences into their coursework. Although it may be inviting to skip a day of class, you will be missing valuable information that you simply cannot find in your textbook.

Now that I am enrolled, how do I get verification that I am enrolled at Antonelli College?
To receive a verification letter, a request is submitted to Student Services. Student Services will verify in writing that the student is attending school.

Where can I apply for scholarships?
Scholarships are available through many different organizations and application process and eligibility requirements vary from scholarships to scholarship. The Financial Aid office has scholarship information available. We also suggest students look online for potential scholarships to determine eligibility. One site that we recommend is www.fastweb.com.

If I received a scholarship, now what do I do?
If you have applied and received a scholarship on your own, simply bring in your award notification to the Student Accounts office so that we can submit your verification to receive the award.

I am a veteran of the Armed Forces. How do I receive educational benefits at Antonelli College?
To apply for Veteran’s Education Benefits, simply to go your local Veteran Center or apply online at www.gibill.va.gov. Once you complete your application, simply print it out and bring it to the Student Accounts office along with your DD214 (for dependents, bring your parent/spouse’s DD2140).

Can I buy my own books? How do I get my books for class?
It is unnecessary for students to purchase any books. Your tuition includes books that can be picked up at the student book store the week before classes start.

Can I resell my books?
Yes, each quarter we host a textbook broker who will purchase your used textbooks.

How do I register for classes and when will I get my schedule?
New students get their schedules from their admissions representative. Continuing students will design their schedule with their department chair. Student schedules for the upcoming quarter are typically ready by the seventh or eighth week of the quarter. Please see your department chair to get your schedule. If you are a new student, your admissions representative will have your schedule for you.

Does Antonelli College provide daycare services?
Antonelli College does not provide daycare services; however, we do have arrangements with local daycare providers that will work with you. Some provide a discounted rate.

What can the Dean of Students do for me?
The Dean of Students can assist you in finding solutions to academic and personal challenges.

Why should I join a student organization?
Joining student organizations is a great way to become more connected to your classmates and your school. Students who participate in student organizations are more likely to succeed.

Does Antonelli College have a leadership/honors organization on campus?
Alpha Beta Kappa is our national honor society, and the Student Advisory Board is our student leadership organization.

How do I receive accommodations for my disabilities or temporary physical limitations?
See the Dean of Students to set a meeting with the director to discuss needed accommodations.

Do you offer massage therapy sessions?
Yes, student massages are available. Contact the campus located closes to you for times and rates.

I live outside of the United States. Does Antonelli College accept international students?
At this time, in order to be an Antonelli College student you must be a US citizen, or have a student visa. In addition, you must have a GED or High School Diploma.

Back to top


Financial Aid Questions

When does my payment have to be paid?
When you meet with a financial aid representative, you will determine any out-of-pocket expenses. We strive to make it as affordable as possible and will set up monthly payment plans.

When do my student loans need to be paid back?
Federal loans have a grace period of six months after you cease attendance or go below half-time status before they go into repayment as long as the grace period has not been used before.

How do I apply for financial aid?
At Antonelli College, we walk you through the process of filling out your FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and applying for financial aid. Make an appointment with the Financial Aid department to put together your financial aid package.

How much financial aid will I receive?
This will depend on your eligibility which will be determined during your financial aid appointment.

When am I going to receive my funds?
Funds are posted to student accounts when released from direct loans. A list of the first disbursement dates for each term is available on www.studentloans.gov. Please see Student Accounts for any questions concerning your student account. A copy of your student account is available at your request.

What do I need to bring with me to my financial aid appointment?
When you set your financial aid appointment, your financial aid administrator will review what documents you will need to bring with you to your appointments. Typically, the following are necessary items:

  • A copy of your Social Security card
  • Name, address and phone number of two people that can be used a reference
  • PIN (you will apply for this when you set up your first financial aid appointment)
  • Signed copy of the past year’s federal income tax return
  • Spouse’s tax return (if applicable)
  • Parents income tax information (if applicable)

Why would I need my parents’ information for the financial aid process?
The federal government sets up the guidelines for the information used to determine financial aid eligibility and dependency status. If you are determined by the government to be a dependent student, your parents will be required to participate in the process.

Does your school provide Pell Grants and student loans?
Pell Grants and student loans in the direct loan process are available through Antonelli College for those students who qualify.

How will I know when you receive my paperwork?
The Financial Aid department processes student documentation daily. If the information provided is incomplete or missing signatures, the student will be contacted via phone, email and/or in class. If the information provided is complete, the student will be cleared for class.

How do I know when my file is complete?
You may contact the Financial Aid department to check the status of your file at any time.

How will I know when my FAFSA data has been received?
If you need assistance with your FAFSA, please visit your Financial Aid department and they will be happy to help. It takes 3-5 business days for your FAFSA to be processed by the Federal Student Aid Processor. You should make sure you list the ANTONELLI COLLEGE Federal School Code on your FAFSA. Also, make sure you sign the FAFSA electronically with your PIN (www.pin.ed.gov) or by mailing your signature page to the Federal Processor.

What is a PLUS loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students)?
Parents can borrow the difference between what the student is eligible to receive and the total cost of attendance as defined by the Financial Aid department. PLUS loans are dependent on the parent's credit history. Parents can determine if they meet the credit criteria online at www.studentloans.gov.

If the parent is denied for a PLUS loan, we can award the student an additional unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan. Parents must provide documentation of the denial to the Financial Aid department. Parents approved for a PLUS loan must complete the Master Promissory Note for PLUS loans at www.studentloans.gov.

What are private alternative loans?
Private alternative loans are not federal loans. The terms vary widely as do the eligibility criteria. You (and your co-borrower, if applicable) should carefully research the options and apply for the alternative loan that best suits your needs. Your best option is to pursue federal loans first. Be sure you have applied for all of the federal loans you are eligible for before you consider private loans. If you do wish to take out a private educational loan, you need to provide any documentation requested by the lender and follow the application procedure that they specify for their loan.

What is the difference between a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan?
A subsidized Federal Stafford Loan is awarded on the basis of the student's financial need. Your financial need is established using the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) that is calculated by the FAFSA. For a subsidized Federal Stafford Loan, the federal government pays the interest while borrowers are enrolled (at least half-time) in school, during a six-month grace period or during authorized periods of deferment.

An unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is not based on the student's financial need, but students must also meet specific eligibility requirements to receive one. Interest on an unsubsidized loan accrues throughout the life of the loan. The borrower may choose to pay the interest charged on the loan on a quarterly basis or allow the interest to be capitalized (added to the loan principal) when it goes into repayment.

I signed a promissory note last year. Why don't I have to sign one this year?
The Federal Stafford Loan master promissory note (MPN) can be used to make one or more loans for one or more academic years (not to exceed 10 years). It was designed to reduce paperwork and loan processing time for students, lenders and schools.

Your promissory note is a legally binding document. Read it carefully and contact your lender or one of our financial aid counselors if you have any questions regarding the terms of your master promissory note.

If something happens in my life that changes my income, what can I do?
Most financial aid is based on financial need as determined by your FAFSA. Antonelli College will take into account any special circumstance(s) that may affect you and your family's ability to contribute toward the cost of education as calculated on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Is it necessary to apply for financial aid every year?
Yes, you must re-apply for financial aid each year. After January 1 but before March 1, renew your FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You must revise the information to reflect your income for the preceding year and any other information that has changed. We urge students to wait until they and their parents complete their federal income tax returns to complete the FAFSA no later than March 1. When completed, you will sign your FAFSA electronically with your U.S. Department of Education PIN. If you do not have your PIN, you can request it online at www.pin.ed.gov.

When your FAFSA is processed, the Federal Student Aid Processor will notify you by email. With your PIN, you will be able to view your FAFSA data. You will also be able to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

The U.S. Department of Education must receive your FAFSA no later than March 1 in order for you to be considered for priority need-based funding. If you have not filed your tax returns by March 1, you can estimate the information on the FAFSA, but you must correct this data as soon as your tax information is filed. You should also be prepared to supply the Financial Aid department with a copy of your federal income tax return information. Please make every effort to apply on time so that you are considered for all types of available aid. If you miss the priority application date (March 1), you may still apply, but some aid may not be available.

What is an additional resource, and how do I report an additional resource?
Scholarships, grants and other educational funds awarded from agencies outside Antonelli College are known as additional resources. You must report additional resources to the Financial Aid department. Additional resources could affect your financial aid award. Below is a list of examples; you must report these types of awards:

  • Vocational rehabilitation benefits
  • Air Force/Army ROTC
  • GI Bill – Yellow Ribbon
  • Go Army Ed Tuition Assistance (see www.goarmyed.com)
  • Military tuition assistance
  • National Guard Education Assistance program
  • Prepaid Affordable College Tuition – MPACT
  • VA benefits (Chapters 30, 31, 33 and35)
  • Local scholarships (high school, church, community or clubs)

Back to top


Career Services Questions

What services does the Career Services department provide?
For all students and alumni, our Career Services department provides career counseling, mock interviews, resume and cover letter critiques, internship/externship information, job postings, career resources, and networking events.

Does the Career Services department assist with placement?
Yes, the purpose of our Career Services department is to assist our students with placement within their career field. The Career Services department works directly with employers and industry professionals to help students with career opportunities. The Career Services department cannot guarantee any position to a student but can help the student prepare for interviews, critique students’ resumes and cover letters, and provide career/job leads.

Can the Career Services department assist with part-time employment while I am attending school?
The Career Services department provides job leads for general part-time employment and will send job leads on a weekly basis.

When should I begin thinking about a career in my field?
It is never too early to be thinking about your career. We urge you to make a career services meeting as soon as your enroll at Antonelli College.

I am relocating to another part of the country – can Career Services still help?
Career Services can assist you with your job searching, resume critiques and mock interviews if you live in another part of the country. We have resources that stretch across the U.S.

What is your graduation rate?
Graduation rates are calculated by programs and are available at the college by contacting our Career Services department.

Back to top


Cincinnati and West Chester Locations Questions

Where are you located?
The downtown campus is located at 124 E. 7th Street, Cincinnati OH 45202 across from the Aronoff Center on Main and 7th Street. The West Chester facility is located at 9100 West Chester Towne Centre Drive, West Chester OH 45069 off I-75 on Union Centre Drive.

Do you offer parking?
The downtown location does not offer parking through the school; however, there are many lots in the vicinity that offer daily rates between $4 and $7. Street parking is sometimes available on a limited basis and costs $2 per hour. The West Chester location provides free parking.

What programs do you offer?
Visit our programs page for more information.

How will I know if the school is closed due to inclement weather?
For the downtown location, if Cincinnati Public Schools are closed, Antonelli College morning classes are cancelled. Afternoon and evening classes will be in session unless the closure is announced on the TV and/or radio. If Cincinnati Public Schools’ morning classes are delayed, Antonelli College morning classes will also be delayed. For example, for a one-hour delay, an 8 a.m. class will start at 9 a.m., and 9 a.m. classes and others thereafter will start on time. Also, please check your Antonelli College email accounts for updated information. For the West Chester location, please look for Lakota School District information.

I can’t get into my Antonelli College email account. How do I gain access?
Both locations’ email accounts are handled by the email administrator located at the downtown campus. They can reset your password to allow access or assist you further.

Do you have lockers or somewhere secure to store my belongings?
Yes, both campuses have lockers for rent for a nominal fee.

Do I need a camera to enroll in the Photography program?
Yes, a 35mm SLR film camera is required to begin the Photography program. By the third quarter, you will also need a Digital SLR camera. The department recommends DSLR cameras that include video features to better prepare you for video classes.

Does Antonelli College provide the 35mm SLR camera when I enroll?
Students are required to have their own 35mm SLR camera when they enroll in the Photography program. If you do not have one and need to purchase one, your admissions representative can provide information on the best deals in the area.

Does Antonelli College provide DSLR cameras to Photography students?
The DLSR camera is required by the time a student takes third quarter classes. Because there are many options for this type of camera and each photographer tends to have their own preferences, the purchase of a DSLR camera is the student’s responsibility. Instructors within the Photography program are well-versed in the types of DSLRs that are available and can help a student choose which model is best for them.

Where is the Antonelli College Career Services department located?
Our Career Services department is located on the 6th floor in the main building downtown. Career Services personnel are at the West Chester location two days each week.

How can I contact Career Services?
You may contact the Career Services department at 513-241-4338 or email career.services@antonellicollege.edu.

What are the Career Services department hours? Do I need to make an appointment?
The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you need to make an appointment at another time, please contact the Career Services department and we will work to meet your needs.

Can I work on campus? How do I find employment?
Yes, if there are open positions, you may apply. If you are interested in becoming a student worker, you can come to the Career Services department to fill out an application and check the available job openings.

Back to top


Hattiesburg Location Questions

Where are you located?
The Hattiesburg campus is located at 1500 North 31st Street, Hattiesburg, Mississippi 39401.

What is the schedule for day classes?
Day classes typically run between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

What is the schedule for night classes?
Night classes run from 5 to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday.

What programs do you offer?
Visit our programs page for more information.

When does work-study hire, and how does it work?
Applications are accepted during the ninth week of the quarter, and interviews are conducted afterward.

Do you are offer GED classes?
GED classes are offered at Antonelli College through the Hattiesburg School District.

What are your hours of operation?
Our facility is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Back to top


Frequently Asked Questions for Online Students

Are online classes right for me?
Online classes are becoming very popular. Before you consider taking an online course, take a moment to consider a few things. First, online courses are not easier than their classroom-based equivalents. They require much more dedication, reading and independent study. This alone indicates that online courses are not for everyone. Another consideration is that online courses require knowledge of and access to computer technology. For more details and a technical skills checklist, go to Is Online Learning Right for Me?.

When do online classes begin?
Online learning courses usually start at the same time as on-campus courses. See the Antonelli College calendar for the dates.

How will I access my class work?
To access your online class, access the Student Portal. Your username will be your first initial and your last name. (If this username has already been used, then your username will be your first initial and your last name with a digit added to the end.) Your password will be your Zip code. For example, John Doe with a Zip code of 39123 would have a username of jdoe and his password would be 39123. For security and privacy reasons, it is important that after you have logged in for the first time that you change your password to something that you will easily remember, but one that will provide you with adequate privacy and security.

Is the same credit given for an online class as for a traditional class?
An online class receives the same credit as a traditional one, as the transcript reflects. The method of course delivery is not distinguished.

Do online courses cost the same as traditional, on-campus courses?
Tuition is the same for online and traditional classes.

Is an email address necessary for registration?
After being admitted to Antonelli College, you will be assigned an Antonelli College email address that must be used when corresponding or submitting work.

Who should I contact if I need a tutor for an online class?
Contact your instructor for any assistance with your coursework. Our faculty is always ready to answer any of your questions.

Who should I contact for advice about my major and for help with scheduling?
We are happy to help you plan a program of study and complete a course schedule. Contact the Academic Dean of Online Learning for assistance with deciding on a major or scheduling classes.

Will I be required to come to a campus?
No, you are not required to come to campus.

How do I know what books to buy and where do I purchase them?
All necessary course materials will be shipped directly to the student in advance of the course start date.

How are assignments and quizzes handled?
Instructors for online classes vary in delivery and evaluation, just as in traditional classrooms. Although some have several tests online, others use the discussion format with only a few tests. During the first week of class, you will receive details about how assignments and tests will be handled for each course.

Do I have to own a computer and have Internet access?
You are required to have access to a computer with Internet capability. To ensure that students have the necessary computer requirements, a computer is part of the materials you receive with your paid tuition.

What other system requirements must the computer have?
If you already have access to a computer, you should make sure that it has the following minimum requirements:

  • Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Mac OS X
  • Internet Explorer 7.x or newer, or FireFox 2.x or newer, with cookies enabled
  • PC with 1.0 gigahertz (GHz) or higher processor clock speed; Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
  • 512 megabytes (MB) of RAM minimum, 1024 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended
  • Super VGA (1024 × 768) resolution video adapter and monitor
  • Keyboard and mouse or compatible pointing device
  • 56 Kbps or higher-speed modem minimum, broadband network connection recommended

Do I need special personal skills for success in online learning?
You should be familiar with a search engine (Google, Yahoo, Web Crawler, etc.), knowledgeable of email functions (sending, receiving and attaching files), comfortable with your word processing software of choice, generally competent in Internet functions and self-motivated. To evaluate your readiness for an online course, see the technical skills checklist found in Is Online Learning Right for Me?.

Can I take a combination of online and on-campus classes and still be considered a full-time student?
Yes, you can take classes both on-campus and online.

Do I have to be online at a specific time?
No, in most cases you will not have to be online at a specific time. You choose the hour of the day (or night) to attend classes. Except for turning in assignments when they are due, your schedule is totally up to you. You can review lectures, ask questions and participate in discussion groups at a time and from a place that's convenient to you.

Is attendance required?
Yes, attendance is required. However, that does not mean that you have to physically be in a classroom or even log in at a certain time. For each online course, students will be allowed one (1) absence per course. Attendance in online courses is defined as active participation in the course as described in the individual course syllabus. Online courses will, at a minimum, have weekly mechanisms for student participation, which will be documented by any or all of the following methods:

  • Completion of tests
  • Submission/completion of assignments
  • Participating in online class discussions

Each week of the five-week module opens and closes each Monday at 12 AM. It is suggested that a student log in a minimum of every three days. Failure to participate as outlined in the individual course syllabus by the required due date will be recorded as an absence. Upon the second absence, the student will be administratively withdrawn from the course, barring any extenuating circumstances.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Click here.

Back to top